2015 Conference – Coming Soon
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: ANGELIKA KRATZER (UMASS, AMHERST)
Professor Kratzer’s area of specialization is formal semantics, a subdiscipline of linguistics with close ties to philosophy of language, logic, and cognitive psychology. She is on the advisory boards of the Center for General Linguistics (ZAS) in Berlin and the Institute for Logic, Language, and Computation (ILLC) in Amsterdam, and on the visiting committee for the Department of Linguistics andPhilosophy at MIT. She co-edits Natural Language Semantics (with Irene Heim), and is on the editorial boards of the Journal of Semantics, the Journal of Philosophical Logic, Linguistics and Philosophy, Linguistic Inquiry, and Semantics and Pragmatics.
Professor Kratzer has also recently published a book of collected and revised papers titled Modals and Conditionals: New and Revised Perspectives. For other published work, please see her Google Scholar Profile and her Philpapers profile.
Congratulations to Osasha Fertal (Agnes Scott College), Antoine Jean-Bressani (McGill University), Janet Kwon (Wilfrid Laurier University), andBenny Mattis (UMass, Amherst), our undergraduate presenters for this year’s conference. We thank everyone for the wonderful submissions!
- “Meaning Like We Mean It”
- Presenter: Benny Mattis
- Institution: UMass, Amherst
- Commentator: Robyn Forman
- Chair: David Balcarras
- “Perceptions of the Good: the Essential Role of Character Virtue in Acting Well”
- Presenter: Osasha Fertal
- Institution: Agnes Scott College
- Commentator: Jem Rosario
- Chair: Michael Bridge
- “Wittgenstein’s ‘Theory’ of Rule-Following: Language and the World”
- Presenter: Antoine Jean-Bressani
- McGill University
- Commentator: Robin Gainer
- Chair: Colin Bested
- “The Data Matrix: A Reformulation of the Problem that Qualia Poses for Functionalism”
- Presenter: Janet Kwon
- Institution: Wilfrid Laurier University
- Commentator: Michael Derewonko
- Chair: Robyn Forman
- Keynote Presentation
- Presenter: Professor Angelika Kratzer
- Institution: UMass, Amherst
- Chair: Heather Hutchinson
UNDERGRADUATE FUNDING OPTIONS
Undergraduate presenters are eligible for $500 CDN reimbursement for travel and accommodations expenditures. Undergraduate applicants outside Canada should convert this amount to their local currency when calculating the cost of attendance. Please see our Reimbursement Policies for additional information or email us to make inquiries.
2013 CONFERENCE ORGANIZERS
David Balcarras, Colin Bested, Michael Bridge, Michael Derewonko, Robyn Forman, Heather Hutchinson, Jem Rosario
2013 SELECTION COMMITTEE
David Balcarras, Colin Bested, Michael Derewonko, Robyn Forman, Robin Gainer, Jem Rosario
MW 160 (Management Wing)
University of Toronto Scarborough
1265 Military Trail
Toronto, ON M1C 1A4
ATTENDING THE CONFERENCE
If you are presenting at this year’s conference, or just planning on attending, we recommend the following hotels, located in downtown Toronto.
- The Holiday Inn Bloor-Yorkville: just next door to the University of Toronto’s Jackman Humanities building (home to the Philosophy Department at the St. George campus at U of T).
- The Fairmont Royal York
We also encourage presenters or attendees flying into Toronto to considerPorter Airlines for direct flights into Toronto from select destinations.
- UTSC Department of Philosophy
- CSS Fund
- Hart House (GIF)